Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Anticipation of Taste

People don't appreciate food. Its an unfortunate fact of our society. In-between our trips to McDonalds, and the TV dinners that we nuke in the microwave, an important factor is lost. What is that factor you ask? Anticipation.

When I was asked what the best meal of my life was, I was taken a bit aback. I see myself as being in fairly good health, and being only 21 years of age, intend to live for quite a while longer. Thus the idea that the best meal of my life is in the past, is quite a distressing concept. I don't see the best meal of my life being in my past, to tell the truth. I see it being in the future. I see it being prepared by my own hands. Unlike much of America today, I haven' t lost the anticipation of eating. The aromas of a loaf of freshly baked bread, the smell of simmering spaghetti sauce, the taste of an enchilada, dripping with a green Chile sauce, melted cheddar cheese on top. These are the things that America forgets about, when we go home to cook our meals at night.

As for me, I can almost taste that meal in the future. The best meal of my life. I may not know yet, if it will be of juicy and tender chicken (dark meat of course), a succulent steak, or perhaps sauteed mushrooms. Perhaps the scents will be of cumin, or mint or even paprika. These things don't matter as much as that anticipation of the meal itself. For without anticipation, it may not be made at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment